Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fundraising

I have offically been fundraising now for 3 years. Before I worked here, I helped out my previous employer where I could, learning the ropes and what to watch out for. I learned a lot from her.
Fundriaisng is not as easy as it seems. You put a lot of hours into it. There's:


  • Figuring out the event

  • Fidning a venue

  • Finding volunteers

  • Making contact for raffle & prize items

  • Pick up

  • Set up

  • And more...

In 3 years I have brought approximately $8,100.00 for various projects around the building. Most recently, the last year was all for Partners With Youth and Families Scholarship Campaign.


My bowling tournament is finally a success. I already have 9 teams lined up, and we're still a month out from the tournament. This is a good thing. I am competing with everyone else fundraising, including Relay For Life teams, which don't get me wrong I think they are all great and deserve community attention and outreach. But people don't realize that the smaller places like the YMCA, FISH, Link, etc. need community attention too. It's very stressful to hear rejection after rejection. It makes me feel like I'm failing, in a way.


So I've made a big decision. What I can't get donated, I will buy. Maybe, just maybe, those companies will remember me next year and be more apt to give or help out.

No comments: